May marks Mental Health Awareness Month in the U.S. This is an opportunity for organizations and professionals across the country to provide support and education, advocate for policies, fight stigma, and convey the critically important message that help is available. Consider the following statistics per the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI):
- 1 in 5 U.S. adults experiences mental illness each year.
- 1 in 20 U.S. adults experiences serious mental illness each year.
- 1 in 6 U.S. youth aged 6-17 experience a mental health disorder each year.
- 50% of all lifetime mental illness begins by age 14, and 75% by age 24.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S.
- The overall suicide rate in the U.S. has increased by 35% since 1999.
At Carolina Digital Phone, we strive to be part of the solution. That is why we support establishing “988” as the nationwide 3-digit phone number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800-273-TALK). Dialing “988” from any phone or device connected to our cloud telephone system connects Americans in crisis with mental health and suicide prevention counselors.
At the current time, “988” is not a mandated nationwide calling code. The FCC has given telecommunication service providers until July 16, 2022 to comply. At Carolina Digital Phone, we are proud to take a leadership role — because we are all in this together, now more than ever.
Click here to learn more about the FCC’s rules and timelines for establishing 988 as the new, nationwide, easy-to-remember 3-digit phone number for Americans in crisis.