If you are thinking about upgrading to UCaaS (Unified Communications as a Service), then let us start with this: good move! Over the last few years, a growing number of organizations have said goodbye to a limited, inflexible, and excessively costly legacy phone system, and hello to an agile, cost-effective, feature-rich, and future-proofed UCaaS solution. In a moment, we highlight seven best practices for upgrading to UCaaS. First, let us answer a basic yet important question: just what is UCaaS, anyway?
While the technology that drives UCaaS is complex, understanding the essence is simple. One of the best definitions available is provided by TechRadar.com:
UCaaS offers the opportunity to integrate multiple communication methods through a single cloud provider, including enterprise messaging, telephone communication, and video conferencing, which facilitates team communication. This can then be integrated into call center services, such as call routing, and call centers, with additional functionality when combined with contact management software.
In other words, UCaaS enables organizations to do much more than just have audio conversations through their phone system. By “piggybacking” onto the internet infrastructure (which they already use on a daily basis to surf the web, access email, transfer files, etc.), organizations can:
- Easily and very affordably give all workers (including temps and seasonal hires) their very own phone number through VoIP — there is no need to install wiring in the walls/ceilings.
- Support all remote/hybrid workers (all they need to do is download an app on their device and they’re good to go)
- Participate in video conferences (from 2 to 1000+ attendees)
- Exchange text messages (SMS/MMS)
- Share screens (ideal for collaboration and presentations)
- Use presence indicators (see at-a-glance in real-time whether colleagues are available/busy/away)
- Send/receive faxes online
Upgrading to UCaaS Best Practices
Upgrading from a legacy phone system to UCaaS should be straightforward and streamlined. To ensure a positive experience from beginning to end, keep these seven best practices in mind:
- Assess your current data (internet/intranet) infrastructure and capacity, to ensure that it has the bandwidth and speed to support UCaaS.
- Let workers know that a new and better telecommunication system is on the way. Remind workers that this is a positive development that will enhance their work experience. They will be more productive and enjoy their jobs more!
- Test and validate your migration and configurations before you begin transitioning workers. Ideally, this can be done outside of business hours, or at least during a time when it will cause the least amount of disruption to normal operations.
- Accurately document all processes for managing the UCaaS solution, focusing on aspects such as phone number assignments, dial plans, locations for emergency calling, call flows, auto attendants, and other communication/collaboration needs.
- Port numbers from existing on-premises platforms to the cloud (and test after porting).
- Train workers to use the new solution (e.g. making/receiving calls, launching video conferences, exchanging instant messages, etc.). The best way to support workers is through resources like step-by-step training videos and articles. They can learn at their own pace, and re-watch/re-read specific resources as desired.
- Monitor performance after upgrading to UCaaS, and optimize as necessary.
The MOST Important Decision when Upgrading to UCaaS
All of these best practices are important. But there is an even MORE important decision that will primarily determine whether your experience upgrading to UCaaS is rewarding or problematic: choosing the right UCaaS vendor.
To help you make this vital selection, ensure that your UCaaS vendor meets ALL of these mandatory requirements:
- Their all-in-one UCaaS solution (which combines Voip UCaaS) offers a wide range of carrier-class features such as auto attendant, text-to-email, live call transfer, video conferencing, call center analytics, dedicated conference bridge, mobile apps, and more.
- They have in-depth proven experience helping organizations design and implement a custom UCaaS solution. Avoid any vendor that takes a generic “one-size-fits-all” approach. Your organization is unique, and your UCaaS solution must be as well!
- They have a commitment to reliability, and pledge a 99.99% guaranteed uptime standard.
- They have an exceptional reputation. Look for verified reviews from real customers.
- They offer outstanding local customer support. If you need help, you want to know that an expert can be on-site asap — and potentially within hours.
- They will happily provide you with a free demo. And “demo” does not mean “thinly-veiled excuse to try and push through a sale.” It means at least a 30-minute interactive meeting, which can take place at your location or over-the-web (as you prefer).
- If you decide that upgrading to UCaaS is the best for your organization, they will map and manage each step of the way — from beginning to end — to ensure that your experience is successful, and that you take the shortest path to value and ROI.
Ready to Learn More?
At Carolina Digital Phone, we are proud to be one of the industry’s most experienced and reputable VoIP+UCaaS vendors. We check ALL of the boxes above — and we would be delighted to show you how and why!
Schedule a 100% complimentary, no-risk demo of our all-in-one system. Call us now at (336) 544-4000, or chat with us by clicking the icon on the bottom of your screen.