The pandemic has shifted remote working, remote communications, and remote learning from the sidelines into the mainstream. As a result, stakeholders in the educational sector — such as Superintendents, Principals, IT Directors, Board Members, and Teachers — are looking for guidance regarding video conferencing for schools.
To help decision-makers identify the right solution for their current and future needs, below we list seven key things to look for when choosing video conferencing for schools:
1. 100% Browser-Based
With browser-based solutions, hosts and participants do not have to download and install software — which can be a real headache and hassle if firewalls get in the way. Instead, they click a link and get started. It is fast and easy — which is the way that video conferencing should be!
The right video conferencing for schools is simple and easy to use. This not only enhances communication collaboration, but it helps teachers and other stakeholders reduce “digital fatigue” — which is a growing problem in the educational sector.
3. High-Quality Audio and Video
Regardless of the number of participants — 2 or 20 — the right video conferencing for schools is dependable, and consistently delivers high-quality video and audio. Look for features such as 1080p HD resolution, and automatic dynamic bandwidth adjustment with 8% resistance packet loss.
4. Additional Communications Features
Video conferencing for schools should not limit itself to video — it should also support a range of enhanced communications features, such as:
- Meeting rooms
- Screen sharing
- Chat (SMS/MMS)
If video conferencing for schools is not versatile, then it is going to be a liability instead of an asset. Specifically, the solution should support:
- Conference room systems, which are ideal for schools that want to have video conferences in a specific location. Look for features such as 18x optical zoom HD camera, 360-degree omnidirectional pickup microphone array, and touchscreen interface connected to a projector/TV.
- Videophones, which enable participants to engage in video conferences through a screen, camera and microphone that is built right into their desk phone (yes, it does have a bit of Star Trek feel to it!).
- Desktop and mobile apps, which enable participants to engage in video conferences from their computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
For many years, schools have been under pressure to “do more with less.” However, the situation is more dire now for schools that face increasing labor, operational and infrastructure costs, yet are also experiencing a significant drop in enrollment due to the pandemic. For instance, recent reports warn that school districts across North Carolina are in danger of losing $132 million in state funding because they have not returned to pre-pandemic student enrollment totals.
In light of this financial challenge, the right video conferencing for schools must be very cost-effective. Key things to look for include:
- Month-to-month pay-as-you-go model (no term commitment).
- Prices starting below $10 a month per hosting user (more on this below).
- FREE access for participants (more on this below)
A hosting user is an individual who is scheduling the video conference. Additionally, a participant is an individual who is invited to the video conference. As noted above, look for a solution where the ONLY cost is for hosting users — not for participants who are invited to the conference.
The right video conferencing for schools does not place a support burden on IT staff. Instead, the solution provider supports (e.g. issues, requests, etc.), updates, and upgrades the solution.
Discover Our Video Conferencing Solution for Schools
Contact Carolina Digital Phone to learn more about enjoying all of the benefits of our all-in-one video conferencing for schools. Our solution is trusted and recommended by school districts and private academies throughout North Carolina and the Southeast, including Bertie County Schools, Graham County Schools, Moore County Schools, Yadkin County Schools, Tandem Friends Schools, Noble Academy, and many others.
Call us now at (336) 544-4000, or chat with us by clicking the icon on the bottom of your screen.